Recently reading articles online and tweets from Pete Brown about beer and music which i found very interesting especially his article in flavoractiv.com and his comment "Before I became obsessed by the flavour of beer, I was fascinated by its social effect, its role as a catalyst to wonderful occasions".
He continues to say in that article ''Ask someone about the best beer they’ve ever had, and it’s likely they’ll tell you about the location, the people they were with, the view, the ice frosting the glass – all before they get to the beer itself, which they may not even be able to remember".
How true and it reminds me and I'm sure all of us of family functions, events in which the music, the suits (or Jeans) with the beer helps complete the collage creating a memory in our minds of that day. Not sure if music can help to improve the taste i think brewers are doing a good job at that, it can certainly help to enhance the enjoyment of an event or even our topic of conversation!
So i contacted Pete and asked him to suggest what style of beer he would pair with Bhangra music (Punjabi Folk) i did think then what was his level of knowledge of this genre and i was very pleased when he suggested Flemish Red Ales. Its a great match.
I won't go on about Flanders Red Ales you all know its about, on Bhangra this music was founded in London in the late 1970s early 1980s by Punjabi immigrants, people like my parents who arrived on these shores in the early 60s and wanted a more familiar alternative to The Who and The Beatles. They took their native folk music and began experimenting creating a genre that is now enjoyed by all.
So those of you familiar with the dance move 'changing the light bulb' you'll enjoy (i hope) my favourite Top 10 Bhangra tracks some quite old school some more recent, matched with Flanders Red Ales. ......... As they say in Punjabi chak de phatte. Enjoy!
10. Captain Bhangre Da by Daljit Mattu and Ravi Bal / Zuur - Ommegang and Liefmans (Duvel-Moortgat) collaboration
9. Kangna by Dr Zeus feat. Master Rakesh & Shortie Lil Lox / Petrus 50/50 Sour - De Brabandere
8. Chandigarh by B21 / Bacchus - Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck
7. Rail Gaddi by Chirag Pehchan / Echte Kriek- Brouwerij Verhaeghe
6. Mundian To Bach Ke by Panjabi MC / Duchesse de Bourgogne - Brouwerij Verhaeghe
5. Maar Chhadapa by Heera / Monks Café - Brouwerij Van Steenberge
4. Soho Rd Utey by Apna Sangeet / Rodenbach Foederbier - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.
3. Apna Sangeet Vaje Apna Sangeet by Apna Sangeet / Zoetzuur - De Proef
2. Gidhian Di Raniye by AS Kang / Vichtenaar - Brouwerij Verhaeghe
1. Hey Jamalo, Tootak Tootak Tootiya by Malkit Singh & Golden Star / Rodenbach Grand Cru - Brouwerij Rodenbach N.V.